Wednesday, May 08, 2013

The Innate Viciousness of Inanimate Objects

Yeah, the title pretty much says it all.

Now, you all remember what was happening with my computer a couple of days ago, right? (Interject here: "But wait, there's more!") While I was working with my writing partner at Starbucks yesterday, iTunes started to grey out my songs. You know, where they put an exclamation point inside a circle and it says you don't have access because it can't find the song. Yeah. That one. Randomly and not all at once.

And I have playlists that go along with different things/major characters for the book I'm working on. Grrr.

Guess what I can't access right now?

The only good news is that once I delete a song (if it's a purchased song through iTunes) I can download it again from the cloud. Then it becomes operative again. Usually. I think there was one last night that failed.

Anyway...

So, I pack up my stuff and run home to try to fix said computer. This was around 1:30. First, I ran a malware program. Didn't find a thing. Then I ran AVG Free edition. Found the usual complement of cookie stuff, and those were fixed/quarantined. Then I ran an iTunes diagnostic. This didn't end until around 9:00 last night, as the AVG portion was still scanning when I went to go do some accounting work until 8:00.

The major bummer about this entire thing is not the time it would take to delete and reload from the cloud. Nope. The problem is the stuff that I uploaded from CDs - CDs I no longer can find.

I really need my John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band stuff, because that music is really tied in to a particular character for Immortal Blood. I may have to  open up my very thin metaphorical wallet and spend some more almost nonexistent money.

There's the best reason I've thought of so far today for NOT getting a venti, skinny caramel latte.

How's your day going?

5 comments:

Rob-bear said...

Every time you think the technology is your friend, you get into trouble. I see you've noted something of that, but it doesn't hurt to receive a reminder from someone else.

I also notice that your growled at the computer. A Human grown is useless. On the other hand, when I growl it looks like GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Did I mention I don't have problems with the technology? It's all in your growl

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

The Poet said...

Just stopping by to say hello. Visiting from the 2013 Post A-Z Road Trip! Thoughts Of Beauty In The Stillness Of Dawn...

Lara said...

Rob, maybe I should howl and snarl instead of growl. I'm much more wolf than bear. Maybe I should flash fang at my screen. I don't have these fangs for nothing...(g)

Lara said...

Andy, so nice to see you. BTW, I really want to say I love your title. It's so evocative and yet serene. Fabulous is the word that comes to mind.

Eden Mabee said...

Still computer issues? (Don't get me started on iTunes... I disabled most every service Apple tried to install on my machine--it runs SO much better now)

I hope you get the music you need for your writing. While I've adapted to writing without music a lot of the time now, I know how hard it can be to get the right "feel" when you're in the plotting and molding stages.